Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Matthew 8: Part II - The Faith of the Centurion (NIV)

Summary:

The Faith of the Centurion
Verses 5-13

Jesus was in Capernaum.  A centurion (a commander of 100) went to Him and asked for help.  His servant was at home, paralyzed and in terrible suffering.  Jesus said that He would go and heal him.  The centurion replied that he was unworthy to have Jesus enter his home, but that if Jesus spoke it, he knew that his servant would be healed.  The centurion was a man under authority and in authority of soldiers.  He told his soldiers where to go and what to do and they obeyed.

Jesus was amazed at this.  He said that He hadn't encountered anyone in Israel with such great faith.  Many would come to sit at the feast with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  They'd be thrown out into the darkness where there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth.  Jesus then told the centurion to go home and that it would be done as he believed it would be.  His servant was healed at that very hour.

Lori's Thoughts:

I wish I had such great faith.  To boldly approach Christ, confident that He would hear me out.  I always think that God will only grant my requests for others, like He did for the centurion.  I worry that I'm being selfish if I ask anything for myself.  But, the leper asked for his healing, Solomon asked for wisdom, Elisha asked for a double portion of Elijah's power, and God said yes.

I have decided to devote my life to serving God by loving people and caring for the planet.  God knows I have needs.  I have bills, the car needs to be fixed, and I desire to have a life companion.  I matter to Him as much as Solomon or Elisha or David or Paul.  I must believe that He will be with me as He was with them.

Now, the centurion was aware of his unworthiness when next to the Almighty.  But, he had faith that Christ would have compassion for him and his servant.  The centurion knew that Christ had authority and that His word had power on a higher level than the centurion's word.  The centurion's faith astonished Jesus.  I want to have such great faith.  God still has work to do with me.  I believe that He is working on me now.  I am much closer to Him than I was a year ago.  But, I definitely have room to grow spiritually.

Jesus again points out that a lineage to Abraham is insufficient to give you a place in heaven.  "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast.  For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  (Ephesians 2:8-10)  Remember, salvation comes before works.  We must follow God's lead.  We cannot save ourselves.  Believe me, I've tried and I almost died.  God is the only One that helped me out of despair and gave me a reason to live - He loves me.  I won't let anyone convince me otherwise.

Summary...

Jesus Heals Many
Verses 14-17

Jesus went to Peter's house.  His mother-in-law had a fever.  Jesus touched her hand and healed her.  She got up and waited on them.

In the evening, many demon-possessed were brought to Him.  Jesus drove out the spirits with a word.  He healed all of the sick.  By doing so, He fulfilled Isaiah's prophecy: " 'He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases.' "  (Isaiah 53:4; verse 17b)

Lori's Thoughts...

Peter was a disciple and he was married.  It is possible to be married and put God first!  Yes!!!

Sometimes God gives us more than what we ask for, because He loves us.  No one asked Him to heal Peter's mother-in-law, but He did so.  Jesus had compassion.  He loved His mother (see John 19:25-27) and understood the value of family.  He didn't need to be told that Peter loved his as well.  Do not forget to thank Him when He does similar things for you.

Christ was compassionate, but not weak.  With one word, spirits fled.  Spirits know His power and do not dare to mess with their Creator, for He is also the Destroyer (see Revelation 20).

Notice that it says that Jesus healed all the sick.  Not the worthy or the rich, but all.  We are all His children and He cares for each of us equally.

How do we know that the Word is true?  Fulfilled prophecies.  Read Matthew 24 and watch CNN.

No comments:

Post a Comment