Thursday, June 16, 2011

Matthew 11: Part II - Woe on Unrepentant Cities (NIV)

Summary:

Woe on Unrepentant Cities
Verses 20-24

Jesus denounced the cities where most of His miracles had been performed, because they did not repent.
- Korazin & Bethsaida - if the miracles had been done in Tyre & Sidon, they would have repented a long time ago, with sackcloth and ashes.  It will be more bearable for the latter cities on Judgment Day.
- Capernaum - will go down to the depths, not up to the skies.  If the miracles had been performed in Sodom, it would have still been around today.  It will be more bearable for Sodom on Judgment Day.

Rest for the Weary
Verses 25-30

Jesus praised His Father, the Lord of heaven and earth, because it was His pleasure to reveal these things to little children, not to the wise and educated.  God committed all things to Christ.  Only the Father knows the Son and only the Son knows the Father, except those that the Son chooses to reveal Him to.

" 'Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.' "  (Verses 28-30)

Lori's Thoughts:

People literally touched by the Savior accepted the physical healing, but rejected the spiritual healing.  The first is ephemeral and superficial.  The second is eternal and deep.

Have you ever had "friends" that only come to you when they need something?  But, when you need something or when you want to hang out, they're nowhere to be found?  This is the story of my life in high school.  Well, a similar thing happened with Jesus.  He healed nations, but only a few accepted spiritual cleansing through a relationship with Him.  This makes me sad.  To me, life is meaningless without God.  My life without God is dark.  It's not even life.  It's depression, low self-esteem, no ambition save for survival, no trust or hope or love.  With God, I have peace in all situations, I know He will never leave me destitute, we speak to each other and I am comforted, because I am held.  How can anyone not want that?!?  It's incomprehensible to me!

We can never earn God's approval.  He freely gives.  If His wisdom was given to philosophers and doctors, they would think it's because they were worthy or intelligent enough.  God turns things upside-down.  He teaches the open and simple-minded.

Are you tired?  Are you lost?  Are you anxious or depressed?  Are you ready to quit?  Don't.  Collapse into Christ's arms.  His reward is rest, gentleness and humility towards you.  You will be refined by His fire and renewed in your spirit to live in His light and move by His power.  Try Jesus, today.

No comments:

Post a Comment