Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Matthew 13: Part III - The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl (NIV)

Summary:

The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl
Verses 44-46

The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure hidden in a field.  A man found it, hid it again, then joyfully sold all he had and bought the field.

The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls.  He found one of great value, then left and sold all he had, and bought it.

The Parable of the Net
Verses 47-52

The kingdom of heaven is like a net let down into a lake and caught all kinds of fish.  Once full, the fishermen pulled it to shore.  They collected the good fish, putting them into baskets, and throwing the bad fish away.  This is how it will be at the end of the age.  The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into a fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Jesus asked the disciples if they'd understood all these things.  They said yes.  Jesus told them that every teacher of the law who'd been instructed about the kingdom was like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new and old treasures.

A Prophet Without Honor 
Verses 53-58

Jesus finished His parables and moved on.  He arrived at His hometown and began to teach in the synagogue.  The people were amazed and asked where He received His wisdom and miraculous power. They recognized Him as the carpenter and Mary's son; as the brother of James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas; and that His sisters were with them.  So, they wondered where He got these things and they were offended by Him.

Jesus told them that only in his own town and house is a prophet without honor.  He then only performed a few miracles because of their lack of faith.

Lori's Thoughts:

If your desire is to live with God and without sin, and you are willing to let go of all of your earthly possessions, then you may grab a hold on the kingdom of heaven.  Nothing may come before God.  Not money, not your house or car, not your job or education, not your family or friends, not your status, not your spouse, nothing.  You must be willing to let them go if God wills it.  If anything comes before God, in your life, then you are in danger of going to hell.

Jesus says that if we do not hate our family and our own life, then we can't go to heaven.  (See Luke 14:25-27)  Sounds contradictory to His message of love?  What about loving God and loving others?  Jesus sometimes had to speak harshly to get our attention and to get us to understand how important a relationship with God is for salvation.  This is what was hidden since the creation of the world.  Before Jesus came, the old covenant showed us our sin.  Once He came, He showed us His plan of salvation and established a new covenant with His life and death.

When I read His instructions about hating, I broke.  I was on my face, weeping and telling God that I didn't understand.  The notion of hate is so contrary to my nature.  I know God lives in me, because I have the capacity to love, although most of my life I've been neglected and treated with contempt.  But, God explained to me that if I held anything more dearly than Him, I'd be in danger of falling from grace. So, I asked Him to take from me that which would separate us.

God is good.  His main objective is to save us.  Once we surrender all to Him, then He can bless us with people or things, because we can be trusted with them.

. . .

Jesus used the parable of the net, because the disciples were fishermen.  He put the Master's divine plan into terms that they and we could understand.  How awesome is that?!  How far is He reaching for you? Think about it.

The teachers of the law have old and new treasures, once instructed about the kingdom.  The Law is the old treasure.  Jesus is the new treasure and the fulfillment of the Law.  Both are valid.  You cannot be saved by accepting one and not the other.

People have a tendency to believe in salvation for others, but not for themselves.  I know I do.  It's just me; I screw up a lot.  I have my doubtful moments on a pretty regular basis.  What kind of Christian is that?  Well, it's a human one.  I know God's still working on me.  He holds on when I give up.  Praise God for that.

My point is that Jesus' neighbors did a similar thing by doubting Jesus' power and wisdom.  He came from their town.  They believed themselves to be too simple a people to have raised up such an amazing man.  So, they missed out on blessings, because of their little faith.  (Remember, Jesus asks for merely a mustard seed amount of faith.)

Don't let this happen to you.  You are a part of God's plan.  Believe and see how He will work in your life, and I will believe that He is working in my life, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment