Monday, February 7, 2011

II Peter 3 (NIV)

Summary:

The Day of the Lord
Verses 1-18

This is Peter's second letter.  He wrote both letters to stimulate wholesome thinking.  He wants us to recall the words spoken by the holy prophets and the Lord's command spoken through the apostles.  We must understand that, in the last days, scoffers will come with their own evil desires and mock us.  They will ask where is this second coming, because they think that everything goes on as it has since creation.  They deliberately forget that "...long ago by God's word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water.  By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed.  By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly [people]." (Vs. 5b-7)

We must not forget that with God a day is like 1,000 years and 1,000 years is like a day (He is not limited by time, like we are.)  "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (Vs. 9)

"But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.  The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare." (Vs. 10)

What kind of people should we be, then?  We should live holy and godly lives as we look forward to the day of God and speed its coming.  On that day, the heavens and elements will by destroyed by fire.  "But in keeping with His promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." (Vs. 13)  (A home without depression, crime, pain, or illnesses.)  Since we are looking forward to this, we should make every effort to be spotless and blameless.  We should be at peace with Him.

"Bear in mind that our Lord's patience means salvation..." (Vs. 15a)

Paul wrote about this, with wisdom from God.  Some of Paul's writings are hard to understand for the ignorant and unstable people, who distort his letters and other Scripture, to their own destruction.  Since we already know these things, we should be on our guard so that we won't be carried away by the error of lawless [people] and fall from our secure position.  Instead, we should grow in grace and knowledge of Christ.  To Him be the glory now and forever!  Amen.

Lori's Thoughts:

It's hard to know that God is real.  He has no beginning or end, so we can't see Him.  We put too much stock into what we can define by our human standards.  I used to trust God so deeply that He was my alarm clock.  I asked Him to wake me up at a particular time and He always did.  Somehow, somewhere, I lost my way.  A few days ago, my sister told me of a woman whom God had told that He wanted to be the One to wake her up each day.  I thought about doing this again and I was overwhelmed with anxiety and fear.  What if I overslept and got to work late.  Then I'd be fired and I'd have no income and I'd have to move back to my mother's house.  I feel like I'm insulting my Creator for not trusting Him with something so simple, yet so important.  I trust my cell phone, which still works even if the power goes off.  But, what happens if my phone dies?

I haven't set my alarm since I spoke with my sister, but I wake up worried several times every night.  I'm working on it.  I want to get back to where I trusted Him completely.

Sometimes we wonder where He is and why terrible things happen, like my childhood abuse.  He was there.  And, He is here.  He is what stopped me from losing my mind or taking my life, because His plan for me is not what I went through or what you may be going through.  Peter answers the question, where is God?  He is on His Mercy Seat, giving us ample time to accept Him and His love for us.  Don't wait until He is in His Judgment Seat to turn your life around.

Last week, at Bible Study, the power went out and we were using the emergency back-up lights.  One by one, they started going out until only one was left.  I didn't want to be in the church's basement in pitch black.  But, I decided to trust that God was with us.  As we said our closing prayer, the last light went out.

This got me thinking.  We should be praying as the world ends and the light burns out.  It may be too late if we start to pray afterwards.  We need to be connected with God to stand firm in the last days of scoffers, antichrists, and spiritual warfare.  Get ready; Jesus is coming.  Do what you must to trust Him with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment