Thursday, February 3, 2011

II Peter 2 (NIV)

Summary:

False Teachers and Their Destruction
Verses 1-22

There were false prophets among the teachers, as there are false teachers among us.  They secretly introduce destructive heresies (teachings against what Jesus taught).  They deny the sovereign Lord who bought them and they are bringing swift destruction on themselves.

"Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute." (Vs. 2)  (This is why so many people are against church, religion, or spirituality - They have seen and been hurt by misrepresentations of the gospel.)

Out of their greed, they exploit made-up stories.  Their condemnation has been hanging over them and their destruction has not been sleeping.

God didn't spare the angels that sinned.  They were sent to hell, locked in gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment.  God didn't spare the ancient world when He brought the flood on the ungodly.  But, He protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others.  God condemned Sodom and Gomorrah, burning them to ashes.  This is an example of what will happen to the ungodly.  But, God rescued Lot, a righteous man, distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men.  Therefore, God knows how to rescue godly people from trials and hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment and  their punishment.  This is especially true for those that follow the corrupt desire of sinful nature, who despise authority.  These people are bold and arrogant.  They slander celestial (heavenly) beings.  Even angels, who are stronger and more powerful, do not do this in God's presence. 

These people blaspheme what they don't understand.  They are like brute beasts, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed.  They will perish.  They will be paid back with harm for the harm that they have done.  Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight.  They are blots and blemishes, reveling in pleasures as they feast among us.  Their eyes are full of adultery, they never stop sinning, they seduce the unstable, they are experts in greed, they are an accursed group.  They have left the straight way and wandered to follow the ways of Baalam son of Beor, who loved the wages of wickedness.  Balaam was rebuked by a donkey, who spoke with a man's voice and restrained this prophet from his madness.  (Which means that Balaam's lifestyle was crazier than a donkey speaking!)

These evil men are like springs without water or mists driven by a storm.  The blackest darkness is reserved for them.  They mouth empty, boastful words (if anyone boasts, let him boast in the Lord [II Corinthians 10:17]).  They appeal to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, enticing people that have just escaped from those that live in error.  They promise freedom, while they are themselves slaves to depravity.

"...a [human] is a slave to whatever has mastered [them]."  (Vs. 19b)

If they escaped corruption through the knowledge of Christ, then again became entangled and overcome with sin, they are worse off.  It would have been better if they never knew the way of righteousness than to have turned their backs on the sacred command given them.

These proverbs are true:

" 'A dog returns to its vomit.' " (Proverbs 26:11; Vs. 22a)

" 'A sow that is washed goes back to her wallowing in the mud.' " (Vs. 22b)

Lori's Thoughts:

Wow.  Peter sure has my attention. 

I know what the absence of God feels like - the world is pressing down on me; I'm a worthless, wretched, unloved creature; there is no point to life.  Sex and alcohol helped me temporarily forget my woes.  I left home many times, hoping for some great transformation.  But, every time I returned, it was as if I had never left.

God never gave up on me, even when I did.  I am precious in His eyes, and I don't understand why.  I'm prideful and I think about rebelling all the time.  But, I don't want to go back to being apart from Him.

I struggled with depression, because of childhood abuse, for 25 1/2 years.  I'm 26 years old.  In July of 2010, I asked God for a miracle.  I heard a man speak about how we limit God, in our minds.  We ask for little things - like making sure our cars don't break down today or to help us make it through work, because we're exhausted.  We should trust Him enough to ask for big things and expect a reply.  If we are in tune with God, we will know what's really important and what to ask for.  I asked God to remove my depression.  I wanted to stop destroying my relationships with my family, my boyfriends, and my friends.  I wanted to stop surviving and start living.  I wanted to wake up the next morning and not be burdened with the weight of my guilt, insecurities, and anxieties.

It worked.

As my brother would say, I've been "clean" for almost 7 months.  It's still a struggle.  I can get frustrated, angry or sad; but, it's no longer the end of my world.  I have hope for tomorrow.  Some days, I'm overwhelmed with joy, because I know Someone loves me, just because.  And, for the first time in my life, I like myself.  I'm beautiful inside and out.  I can love others and not be a burdensome "Debbie Downer".

I want this for you.  But, I can't force you.  I hope, though, that you surrender to God's love and let Him revive you to live and thrive as He has intended for you.  Being high on life is so much better than being high on anything else.  You can function with it.  You're capable of accomplishing great things.

Like what, you may ask?  How about bonding with your family?  Sky-diving with your mother, going to DCFest with your brother and sisters, West Coast swing dancing and karaoke with our cousins.  How about sponsoring a child in a third-world country, feeding the homeless in DC, or paying for a room for a week to help a struggling couple?

What is my point?

1. Family is essential.  The devil divides and conquers us.  Together, you are stronger and can stand against evil, by helping each other carry your burdens, encouraging and praying for each other.  When God destroyed the world with the flood, who was saved?  Noah and his family.  My family was broken.  With God, we're closer now and on fire for God.

2. How do you know you've been saved and God is transforming you?  Once you acknowledge God, accept His free gift of eternal life without sin, you then start to focus on the well-being of others, rather than just on yourself.

I WANT TO BE WITH YOU IN HEAVEN!!!

May the Holy Spirit guide you.  (Or, if you prefer, "May the Force be with you!")

No comments:

Post a Comment