Friday, January 28, 2011

I Peter 5 (NIV)

Summary:

To Elders and Young Men
Verses 1-11

Peter appeals to his fellow elders, as a witness to Christ's sufferings, and as a sharer in the glory to be revealed.  He urges them to be shepherds of God's flock that has been placed under their care.  They are to do this, not out of obligation, but out of a willingness to serve.  They are not to lord their position over their flock, but be an example to them.  When the Chief Shepherd appears, they'll receive the crown of glory that never fades.

Peter then appeals to young men, to be submissive to those that are older.  They are to clothe themselves with humility towards each other.

" 'God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.' " (Proverbs 3:34, Verse 5b)

We are to humble ourselves under God's mighty hand and He will lift us up in due time.

"Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." (Verse 7)

"Be self-controlled and alert.  Your enemy, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.  Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." (Verses 8-9)

The God of Grace, who called us into eternal glory in Christ, after we've suffered for a little while, will restore us, making us strong and steadfast.  To Him be the power forever.  Amen.

Final Greetings
Verses 12-14

With the help of Silas, a faithful brother, Peter has written briefly, encouraging us and testifying to the true grace of God.  Stand fast (anchor yourself) in it.

She, who is in Babylon, chosen with us, sends her greetings, as does his son (probably in a spiritual sense), Mark.  We are to greet each other with a kiss of love (Puerto Rican style [on the cheek]).  Peter wishes peace to those in Christ.

Lori's Thoughts:

As an individual, who is mature in their faith, who has walked with God for a while, he or she can be a shepherd to others.  Not that it is our duty, but a privilege to be strong enough, with God, to lead others to Him.  I know I'm not there yet, but I've asked God to lead me in that direction.  I want to trust Him so completely, that all self-doubt is removed.  I want to believe that God can work through this wretch that I am.  He works in us to make us strong, not waiting for us to make ourselves worthy - it'll never happen.  Surrender to Him now, as you are.  Never settle for a sub-par version of yourself.  God isn't.

I have a problem with authority.  I see people in positions of power that are weak or corrupt.  However, there are those that are genuinely good, strong leaders (President Obama, for example).  God wants us to respect all of them.  He wants us to be humble.  My tendency is to be proud, because I think I'm better.  But, I have no right to disrespect anyone.  God loves the good, the bad, and the ugly.  If I am His, I will do the same.  Plus, it says that if we are humble, God will lift us up.  I can't even imagine how awesome a position that will be.  He can, though.

Verse 7 - Cast your anxiety.  Throw it away from yourself!  Too many times, I lay mine at His feet only to bring it back clutched at my chest.  Throw it away!!!  Man, this chapter was for me!  What about you?

We need to resist the devil.  I need to stop letting him beat me up because I slipped up on my vow to God (regarding a certain guy).  What I need to do is remind myself of my vow and rededicate myself to God.  (Trust me, not one single person has failed to say that this guy is bad news.)  Another thing I can do to resist the devil is to not go to the Linkin Park concert.  I love their music.  It helps me vent my anger.  But, I know the kinds of things people do at these concerts - substance abuse and whatnot.  Paul says that everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial.  Going to this concert would not be a sin.  But, it will not bring me closer to God.  I'm in a fragile state right now, so it would probably make me backtrack.  I wouldn't participate in the non-musical activities at the concert, but I would start to doubt my identity and convictions.  No bueno.  I need to stop doubting God's hand in my life.  He can and does take care of me.  If I stand firm, I can show others that they can do the same, with God, in the same situations.

Yes, we will suffer, but God will strengthen us to bring us into His glory, because He is gracious to us.  Why can't I get this into my brain?!  I need to be reminded daily.

Grace is real.  Peter has testified to it.  Is it real for you?

Peter wants us to have peace.  Now, that's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment