Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Peter 4 (NIV)

Summary:

Living for God
Verses 1-11

Since Christ suffered in His body, we should arm ourselves with the same attitude.  If we suffer in our bodies, it means we are done with sin.  We no longer live for our evil human desires, but for the will of God.  We've spent enough time living as the pagans live:
-debauchery: excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures
-lust: uncontrolled sexual desires
-drunkenness: temporary states where one's physical and mental abilities are impaired by alcohol
-orgies: wild, drunken revelry
-carousing: drinking deeply and frequently
-detestable idolatry: abominable adoration or devotion to something in excess or in an unthinking manner

"They think it strange that you do not plunge with them into the same flood of dissipation (squandering or wastefulness), and they heap abuse on you.  But they will have to give account to Him who is ready to judge the living and the dead." (Verses 4-5)

This is why the gospel was preached to us and to those who are currently dead, so that we may be judged according to humankind, in regards to the body, but live according to God, in regards to the spirit.

"The end of all things is near.  Therefore, be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray."
(Verse 7)

Above all, we are to love others deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins.  (Good song for this verse: "When It Was Over" by Sara Groves - YouTube it, people!)

We are to offer hospitality without grumbling.

"Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." (Verse 10)  If your talent is speaking, speak the very words of God.  If it is serving, do it with the strength that God provides.  Do this, so that, in all things, God may be praised through Jesus Christ.

Glory and power be to God forever and ever. Amen.

Suffering for Being a Christian
Verses 12-19

Don't be surprised at the painful trial that you're suffering, as if something strange were happening to you.  Rejoice that you share in Christ's suffering, so that you may be overjoyed when His glory is revealed.  If you are insulted because of His name, you are blessed, because the Spirit of Glory and of God rests on you.  If you suffer, it shouldn't be as a criminal or a meddler.  As a Christian, don't be ashamed of suffering, but praise God that you bear His name.

It is time for judgment to begins with God's family.  What will the outcome be, then, for those that don't obey the gospel?

" 'If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?' " (Proverbs 11:31, Verse 18)

Those that suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to the faithful Creator and continue to do good.

Lori's Thoughts:

I spent time getting drunk and having sex.  That statement alone gave me a feeling of impending judgment.  Not from God - from you.  Well, this was my attempt to forget my abusive childhood and my survival afterwards, which was a pathetic attempt at living.  Finally, one of my psychologists gave me a verbal slap in the face.  I had a problem with alcohol.  I let alcohol and sex destroy my relationship with my fiance'.  I wanted to die.

But, God stayed my hand.  He held me when I was weeping and alone.  The worst I did was cut off all my hair.  I didn't deserve to be outwardly beautiful, because I was inwardly ugly.

Well, God found something in me that was worth saving.  So, here I am - single, but close to God.  I will no longer be ruled by alcohol or sex.  I will have a drink, but I will not get drunk.  And, the next man I have sex with will be my last.

Verses 4 & 5:  I definitely have friends that can't understand that I live for God first, I go to church on Saturday nights, and I don't need to drink to have fun.  A lot of them choose not to spend time with me.  It's a lonely road, but it's also a peaceful and joyous one.  I feel like I'm living for the first time.  I go to concerts, I travel, I went sky-diving once.  I'm sponsoring a child in Indonesia, I love helping my family and friends with financial or emotional situations.  I feel good.

If you fear God's judgment, maybe it's time to ask yourself who you're living for.  Remember, if we are His, He is for us and will help us fight our tormentors.

Verse 7:  I certainly wasn't clear-minded when I was living in sin.  I was burdened.  I worried about everything.  Now that I have peace, I can easily talk to God all the time.

Our talents can help spread God's grace: the freely given favor and love of God.  We can be His ambassadors.  It kind of makes me feel like Angeline Jolie, powerful and important.  By our service to others, we can inspire those we help to praise God.  As we praise, our problems become less heavy and we can live knowing God will provide for all of our needs.

If we are insulted because we live for God - 1. We have been warned.  2. We know that we have the Holy Spirit. So, praise God that He has adopted you and given you His name: "Child of God".  If you suffer, keep moving on.  You'll become stronger, with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment