Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Matthew 18: Part II - A Brother Who Sins Against You

Summary:

A Brother Who Sins Against You
Verses 15-20

[Jesus speaks]  If your brother (or sister) sins against you, show him his fault, but keep it between the two of you.  If he listens, you've won him over.  If he doesn't, take 1-2 others with you, so that, "...'every matter may be established by the testimony of 2 or 3 witnesses.' "  (Verse 16b)

If he still refuses to listen, tell the church.  If he refuses to listen to the church, treat him as a pagan or a tax collector.  Whatever you bind or loosen on earth will be bound or loosened in heaven.  If 2 on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done by His Father in heaven.  Where 2-3 come together in His name, He is there with them.

Lori's Thoughts:

As a human, I get really frustrated with people.  Usually, I leave and stew until I calm down.  Then, I come back and talk to the person that angered me.  I hate doing it, but I learned that I can't ignore my problems, let them build up, and then blow up unexpectedly.  Jesus did not tell us that we should never get angry; He showed us what to do about it.

We have the concept of binding and loosening again.  Maybe it means that when people of God make peace with others, they are claiming them for the kingdom of heaven.  They are choosing to speak for others when their salvation comes into question.  I claim this person, because Christ told us to make disciples out of everyone.  (See Matthew 28:19)  Although they sin, God is working on them.

However, if a person refuses to stop sinning, and they want nothing to do with peace, Christians must loosen them and let them go.  We can't force anyone to serve God.  But, we can certainly pray for the Holy Spirit to remember them and keep knocking gently on their hearts.  At that point, we can only hope that they answer Him.  But, it is our duty to do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment