Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Matthew 17: Part I - The Transfiguration (NIV)

Summary:

The Transfiguration
Verses 1-13

Six days later, Jesus took Peter, James and his brother John, up to a high mountain, away from everyone.  Jesus was transfigured before them.  His face shone like the sun and His clothes were as white as light.  Moses and Elijah appeared and spoke with Him.  Peter offered to build shelters for the three of them.  A voice from a bright cloud enveloped them and interrupted Peter.  The voice said, " 'This is my Son, whom I love; with Him I am well pleased.  Listen to Him!' "  (Verse 5b)

The disciples fell in terror when they heard this.  Jesus touched them and told them to get up and not fear.  They got up and saw only Jesus.  They all descended the mountain and Jesus told them not to tell anyone about this until the Son of Man is raised from the dead.

The disciples asked Him why the law teachers say that Elijah must come first.  Jesus said that Elijah comes and restores all things.  He has already come, but they did not recognize him.  They did whatever they wanted to him.  Similarly, the Son of Man will suffer at their hands.  The disciples understood that He was talking about John the Baptist.  (Seems like they were a bit wiser now, since Jesus didn't have to explain this 'parable' to them.)

Lori's Thoughts:

As we grow closer to Christ, He reveals more of Himself to us, but only what we can handle.  The disciples were the closest to Him, and three were allowed to see His glory revealed.  Even these three were terrified at Jesus' heavenly form.  This is a humbling notion for me, because I don't believe I'm as faith-filled or connected as the disciples were to Christ.  I'm sure I'd die if I saw God.  However, I know He's working on me, to sanctify me, so that I am prepared to live with Him when He returns.  He's doing the same for you.

The transfiguration shows me how magnificent God is.  It is comforting to know that someone that grand and unfathomable has my destiny in His hands.  Would you trust a human with the same?  I wouldn't.

I wonder if Moses and Elijah were comforting Jesus, because He would die soon.  Someone once pointed out to me that Elijah had been taken alive to heaven.  Moses had died, then was taken to heaven.  Maybe they shared their hope for life beyond this earth to encourage Christ.  God also spoke up to let His Son know that He was doing well and was making His Father proud.  I wish all families were like this.  There'd be confident people instead of insecure ones that seek all the wrong things to cope.  God loves you.  He is the answer.  (Take it from someone who sought other answers in the past and experienced an epic fail.)

It seems like the disciples lived to the extreme with Jesus.  They went through storms that He calmed, they battled the law teachers, they healed the sick, they saw King Jesus and were terrified.  Jesus comforted them immediately.  When we are afraid, Jesus is ready to tend to us.  All we have to do is ask for His presence.

Third Day "Call My Name"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu0g5Y4uxww&feature=related

I think what they mean about Elijah coming first is that Elijah prepared the hearts of Israel to receive God through the old covenant, and John the Baptist prepared their hearts to receive Christ through the new covenant.  However, only a few accepted the message.  The current ones killed the messenger and would kill the Savior.  The good news is that there is salvation for us all.

" 'Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.' "  (Matthew 12:32)

No comments:

Post a Comment