Tuesday, May 3, 2011

II Chronicles 11 (NIV)

Summary:

Israel Rebels Against Rehoboam
Verses 1-4

Rehoboam arrived in Jerusalem, gathering the houses of Judah and Benjamin for war against Israel.  He mustered 180,000 fighting men to regain the kingdom from Jeroboam.  The word of God came to Shemaiah the man of God.  God told him to tell Rehoboam, Judah, and Benjamin not to fight against their brothers.  God told them to go home, because this was His doing.  They obeyed Him and turned back.

Rehoboam Fortifies Judah
Verses 5-17

Rehoboam lived in Jerusalem and built up towns to defend Judah and Benjamin.  These were the towns he built:
Bethlehem                    Etam                  Tekoa
Beth Zur                        Soco                  Adullam
Gath                              Mareshah          Ziph
Adoraim                        Lachish              Azekah
Zorah                            Aijalon                Hebron

He strengthened their defenses by putting commanders in each one with food, olive oil, wine, shields, and spears.  Judah and Benjamin were his.

The priests and Levites from throughout Israel sided with Rehoboam.  They abandoned their pasturelands and property because Jeroboam and his sons rejected them as priests of God.  Jeroboam appointed his own priests for the high places and for the goat and calf idols that he'd made.  Those from every tribe who sought the Lord followed the Levites to offer sacrifices to God.  These (good) rebels strengthened Judah and supported Rehoboam for 3 years.  They walked in the ways of David and Solomon.

Rehoboam's Family
Verses 18-23

[* <- = son/daughter of *]

-Married Mahalath <- Jerimoth (father) <- David <- Jesse
                             <- Abihail (mother) <- Eliab <- Jesse
                             -> (Mahalath's sons:) Jeush, Shemariah, Zaham

-Married Maacah <- Absalom <- Solomon
                            -> (Maacah's sons:) Abijah, Attai, Ziza, Shelomith

Rehoboam loved Maacah over all his others.  He had 18 wives and 60 concubines.  They bore him 28 sons and 60 daughters.  He appointed Abijah to be the chief prince among his brothers, so he would be the next king.  Rehoboam acted wisely by dispersing some of his sons throughout Judah, Benjamin, and their fortified cities.  He gave his sons abundant provisions and wives.

Lori's Thoughts:

Vengeance is the Lord's.  Sometimes we are instructed to stand back and let God take care of everything (see II Samuel 5:17-25).  Sometimes I can't see the end game.  But, God has never let me down once, so I trust His judgment.  When God tells us no, there's a reason for it.  We must listen and obey, even if we don't understand.

I've learned that any endeavor I've ever undertaken without God has led to failure.  I believe He has something amazing and powerful waiting for me, beyond what I can imagine.  I will trust His timing and will.  In the meantime, I struggle with patience and faith.  I'm still in training, but I'm headed in the right direction.

So, while Rehoboam was waiting on the Lord, he strengthened what God had already given him.  This is what we must do.  Don't complain or get lazy.  This only leads to doubt, the devil's favorite attribute.  God has given each of us a measure of faith, a unique personality, a specialized ability, and free will.  I'm not an expert at anything, yet.  But, while I wait on the Lord, I can work on strengthening my attributes and conquering my weaknesses with the power of the Holy Spirit.

I encourage you to do the same.  See how people are drawn to the God in you.  Just as the faithful Israelites who found themselves among unbelievers migrated towards those who remained faithful, so will those who seek God in our day migrate towards you.  They may not even realize they're looking for God.  But, they are drawn to the fruit of the Spirit that you produce.  I think the joy and peace we experience with God, in this unsettling world, is the most attractive.

Now, I have my strong opinions of Rehoboam's many wives and concubines.  But, I don't really have something positive to say.  So, I'll just say this: Would God, who wants us to serve Him only, approve of us having more than one spouse?  I think He desires faithfulness.  However, God uses imperfect people for His perfect will.  All I can say is seek Him and He will make your paths straight.  I will not deign to tell you how to live your life when I've got my own problems.  If you've got God, you have everything you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment